Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Picante Restaurant


So I opened my big mouth on Facebook about loving this place and Chris called me out. So, the secret is out and one of mine and Teri's favorite places to eat in Berkeley is Picante.

It's off of Gilman on 6th Street, close to the Pyramid Brewery and Target. I know Chevy's likes to say they have "Fresh Mex" -- but screw Chevy's, Picante is the real deal. The ingredients are always fresh and the Mexican food is the best in the East Bay. Well, it's in my Top 3. The other two awesome places out here are Juan's Place and Cactus Taqueria.

The restuarant isn't a traditional sit-down place, because it's usually busy, you stand in line and order your food first and then find a table. The waiters bring out your dishes to you -- the wait isn't too long, maybe five minutes at the most.

And because it does tend to get packed, they kindly ask that you don't get in line and then send someone out to save a table. THAT is totally frowned upon. There are plenty of tables and the turnaround there is pretty fast so you'll always be able to find a seat. Teri and I found this out the hard way when she was getting dirty looks for holding a table while I stood in line. But that was totally our fault since we didn't see the posted sign asking people not to hold tables -- thankfully we weren't banned from the restaurant.

Anyway, just wanted to get that piece of etiquette out of the way before I get to THE FOOD:


Pictured here: Tamales, Flautas, Nachos w/Chicken, Tortialla Soup. My personal favorite dish is the Tacos Pescado (or fish tacos), the fish is lightly battered and the sauce has got a little kick without being too spicy.

No comments: